Monday, December 19, 2011

Can you see the lights?

Yes, the girly family long weekend finally happened the week before last (with just two weeks until it would be time for me to go home for Christmas) it was a blast.  I went strait home after my French lesson to pack my things and wait for the arrival of the motley crew (my mum, sister and niece).  It was a beautiful day for them to arrive, with snow topped mountains in view.

Sun and snow................


You shall have to indulge me, as I show far too many photos than is needed to illustrate the weekend we had together.  this is me 'cutting' it down to just a few!  We went to Geneva, Bern and Annecey, all the best places, a good mix of the French side and The Swiss side.

They arrived (having got sufficiently lost of course) at my house adorned with gifts!  Yay!!!!  I will happily receive anything remotely English.  A big THANK YOU for that!!

My buddy Izzy instantly making herself feel at home.....


Christmas in our hotel........


Ashley and Izzy, waiting for some food........


When we got the food though it rather gross, that would explain why it was so cheap in a silly expensive place!  Mistake!  Unfortunately mum had been puking while we were at the cafe (lack of sleep and food) so we took her back to the hotel for a rest while Ashley, Izzy and I went to do some French food shopping.

The person we parked next to had already done theirs......


Izzy couldn't believe that THIS was a daily snack for French kids......


I woke up mum via the flash......


Since Cazza was feeling better we went for a little wounder around Geneva.  All the Christmas lights were up, so the city was pretty.

The lovely ladies.................


Tree hugger's............................


 A pop up winter restaurant.........


 Izzy discovering the international message board.....


'Yes I will!'..................................


We found a deliciously posh pizzeria in the 'posher' part of Geneva to eat in.  Chandeliers and an Italian chef.  It didnt even serve Hawiann!  Izzy was not amused!

Pout..........................................


We sat at a table right next to the guy making pizza (because we were such obvious English tourists!). We  were able to watch him show off his dough swirling skills! ).  Izzy, being the special pretty blond girl she is, got to make her own pizza!

A new pizza lady is in the house............


Being taught by hand..........





 The rest of us were just excited to get some FOOD......


The pizza guy even made it smile....


Tasty....................................


Satisfied....................................


Waiting for the tram to get back to the hotel.....


The next day (after just a little lie in!  Hehe!) we set off for Bern, the capital of Switzerland to see the Christmas markets.  The city is German speaking, so we couldn't test our French skills (lucky thing too, seeing as we were lacking them).  Izzy and I's mission was to discover bears int he city! Bear's are the founding animal of the Bern, because bear pits for were found from years and years ago in an old part of the city.  Everywhere you go a bear can be found.

Busy Bern.................


The first sighting....................


A bridge crossing the valley.........


Tangled moment...................


 A welcome to the markets by birds.....


Market stalls...............................


Bang bang...................


BEAUTIFUL cup case's........


The best high street in the world..........


Water running under the pavement....


These were everywhere, yet I didn't taste one (sad).....


 Izzy was way too excited that she found this bear.....


The moulder tower we got to look at whilst we ate......


The traditional hot German drink was calling us from a far, Glühwein (we had the kids version of course!).  Snuggeled into a tent with a bunch of other shoppers, we warmed up!

Cazza looking sly................


 Mum was disputing me keeping the mug.....


I got to, for memory's sake......


 Cheers........................


Lazzzzzzzzy eye...................


Fish lips...................................


Not so sure we gave Izzy the kids version though.........


Izzy's mission in life is to kiss me.  I flat down refuse every time, she attacks me out of nowhere me, so I have to be on my guard at all times.  She caught under the mistoletoe though,  I didnt know what to do!

Eeeeeeekkkkkkk..................


As we are walking down the high street again later on, me and Izzy recognize a familiar smell.  With whisper's from mum and Ashley to walk faster I realise there is something they don't want us to see.

Behold....LUSH!!!!!!!.............


Izzy was way excited to get a little something from the shop, and I had to promise to have a 'Lush' bath with her later on.

Making my mark one Lush shop at a time.....


Just being a bear........


There is a place in the city that has a place for live bears to roam in a special enclosure, where you can see the for free.  We only learned where this place was after the little bears were tucked up in thier beds!  Next time I come here I am seeing them for sure!

Map of the city..........


Every stone around the enclosure has a name carved into it.  I have no idea why!  I will solve the mystery next time I am there.

Names.......................


Be a bear....grrrrrrr.................


'Can you see the lights?'........


 Meine Mutter und ich................


Goodbye beautiful Bern...........


After a great day in Bern (my new favorite city in Switzerland!) we got back to the hotel for a GOOD sleep!!!  First me and Izzy had our 'Lush' bath!

Glorious glittery purple........


On the Saturday we drove to Annecy, seeing as I had been going on about the place to them for a while, and apparently I am the tour guide here, so it's my call!

Annecy.......................


It's Venice like feel.......


HUGE blocks of nougat.....


Just a slice for dad................


An unexpected Christmas market again......


Posh Ashley.............................


Failing to be as posh?.............


The girls....................................


My favorite little shop..............


FONDUE........................


Too much for mum me thinks.....


Beautiful Izzy............


For the best view of the city.......


My best view of the city.........


Somebody pushing their luck........


Pigs do fly........................


I think this place is gorgeous.......


My arty photo for the day..........


Izzy's first crepe, filled with Nutella..........


All together now...........


Roof tops in the evening......


Annecy by night............


Writing on walls............


Izzy wouldn't believe that the water really was pink........


That night we got back to the hotel for a last girly evening together.  We ate all the food we had bought on the first day, got in P.J's and watched a film.  Nice evening well spent.

On the final day of visiting (Izzy wanted more time off school to stay longer, ahahaha!) we went to Gex ward, so they could experience the French overload I get when I am there!  After that there was only time for a quick bite to eat before they had to sort out there stuff to leave.  Already!!!

A little shocked at having to leave?.....


Kissy kissy goodbye?  No!.......


Smug to be going home..........



Au revoir....................



It was a really good weekend!  I am glad to have seen my mum, sister and niece, and that they came all the way out to this ridiculously expensive place!  However I will be seeing them soon!

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment