Monday, September 5, 2011

A little haven in Gex


Gex is my new favorite place!  Not only can I actually pronounce and spell the word, but it’s only 5 minutes from Echenevex (which is where I reside) and there is an amazing ward there!!!!!

I am so glad that the church is incredibly organized.  So much so that wherever you go in the world to attend church, it will always be the same.  The same lessons being taught in the same format.  The same songs get sung, just in another language perhaps.  People with the same beliefs and morals are there.  People who are willing to help a complete stranger and welcome them in with open arms.

Jenny, who set me up with the job here, set me up with a lift to church.  This young couple (Sarah and her husband) picked me up and took me to church.  Sarah introduced me to the Relief Society president (she is already getting me on the visiting teaching list), who introduced me to her lovely sister (kind of reminded me of my mum).  She had just come back from being on holiday in England with her husband.  Miss Jane Austen provided us with something great to bond over!  She then translated the opening exercises to me (as I am in a French speaking ward, I’ve taken the plunge guys!) before she had to go.  Then I was left to my own devises!  After three hours of listening to French and trying to take in what’s being said you can develop a bit of a headache!

After the Y.S.A. Sunday school (yes the ward is big enough to have their own Y.S.A. Sunday school!  About 120 people attend every week, a lot of them work for the church somewhere in the area, so that’s why there’s such a good sized ward there.) I got introduced to some fellow Y.S.A. to sort out institute, which is held in Geneva, starting in a couple of weeks.  It sounds tricky to get to, so I’m going to beg for a lift from anyone!!!!  Apparently there are a few other English speaking Au Pair’s that attend Geneva ward, because its English speaking, but one is close to me…possible lift me thinks!

Most people in the ward speak English really well, so that was good for getting to know people.  Everyone is really nice though!  Never had so many people be so nice and welcoming to me when I’ve gone somewhere new.  One of the Y.S.A.’s who I chatted to for a while, and sat with me in sacrament, already invited me to go out next week for his birthday gathering with a bunch of the Y.S.A.’s.  The Y.S.A. rep (he’s from Canada, French side I’m guessing) was great in setting me up with what’s going on and when.  Even one of the missionaries, who tuned out to be American, talked to me for a bit, telling me that ‘yeah the first couple of months will be really hard with the language barrier, but it will get better and just suddenly click!’  Even went as far as to give me the missionary number so that I could ring them if I had any trouble with the language or anything.  Well nice huh?!  Made me feel better about that!  But what is it with girls being the last people to get to know you when you go somewhere new?  Points go to the guys for being so nice today!

I now have a bunch of numbers and e-mail addresses so I can keep in contact with people.  Looks like I will be able to be a real part of the ward while I’m here. 
Sarah (who drove me) introduced me to a couple of family’s who will be able to give me lifts to church every week.  Fantastic!!  One family lives across the road from me and the other drives through Echenevex to get to church every week.  Both lovely family’s, with girls who are in Young Women’s…one of them even came out with ‘you have really beautiful eyes’ when I was talking to her mum!  Love her already!

A great start to church in France!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment